"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Harper Kincaid Interview

 I have been so excited to post this interview I've been bouncing. Literally. If you read my review - which will be linked at the bottom - then you know how much I enjoyed The Wonder of You. I was so stinkin' stoked when I got the opportunity to interview Harper that I squealed with delight. The moment I got her answers I jogged around the room with my fist in the air like Rocky. She's so funny and I am so so thankful she took the time to talk with me. So thank you Harper for being so awesome. I'm thrilled with this interview and I hope you all love it too.
Enjoy!!


1. How long have you been writing?

Oh wow, well, I've been writing all my life, but I've been writing romance since 2014. I love it - totally addicted to HEA's :) I get to offer a slice of funny and happy for a living - how lucky am I?

2. Out of everything you've written what are you the most proud of?

Oh definitely my latest, The Wonder of You. This book is my foray into romantic comedies. I always say making people laugh makes me happy - and it's really true.

3. How did you come up with the plot?

Well, I've been an Alice in Wonderland fan forever, despite the Lewis Carroll creepy factor. The story is basically about a girl going through puberty and I always thought it would be fascinating to see her navigate her sexuality as a young adult. I pitched it to a few publishers, but they were over fairy tale retelling's. So I said - screw it...I'm writing it anyway.

4. How long have you had the idea for The Wonder of You? Was this a difficult book to write or was it more of a fun adventure...down a rabbit hole?

I had the idea in my head for over a year before I even wrote it. Once I started writing it, it was both easy and difficult. Easy because I knew exactly where I wanted the story to go. I knew exactly the dynamic I wanted between Alice and Dare. The comedy made it difficult - I forget who but someone once said "dying is easy - comedy is hard." So frickin' true. I think I'm funny. I love making people laugh, but doing it in book form is totally different than how you'd share a funny at a cocktail party. So that was a beast I needed to slay.

5. I absolutely loved all of the references to Alice in Wonderland! One of my favorites was the teacher who exaggerated his speech like the caterpillar because it literally made me laugh out loud. Did you laugh while writing any of the scenes?

I'm so glad you got that part! You'd be surprised how so many people say they love the original Alice, but missed the references lol. Anyway, I tend to have a really twisted, dark sense of humor, so the stuff that made me laugh in the book is probably what's going to send me to Hell Fed Ex. One of my favorites was Mrs. Grangeworth, Dare's stepmom, who gave all those digs to other society/fashion icons. Shes got a sharp tongue, but is actually a softie underneath it all.

6. If you could spend the day with anyone from Alice and Wonderland who would you choose?

Geez, way to make a momma choose among her babies! Insert snort laugh. Okay, a day with one of my characters...probably either Ingrid or Mrs. Grangeworth, I do love all the girls, but the two I mentioned were my faves - weird, but true :)

7. You get to trade lives with someone from The Wonder of You for 24 hours, who are you?

Oh heck yeah I'd be Dare! I want to be a famous artist with tons of money living the life in NYC.

8. Dare is definitely my new book crush, who are some of your book crushes?


Oooh I love talking book boyfriends. Gideon Cross from the Crossfire series is my all time fave. It actually hurts a little that he's not real (yeah, I'm a lil' sad aren't I?)

9. I would love to see Alice and Dares story on the screen, who would you want to play them?

If Franggy the photographer slash cover model can act, then it would be him. For Alice...Zoey Deschanel. Definitely.

Check out Harper's Pinterest where you can check out her starring cast for each of her books HERE

10. If The Wonder of You had a theme song what would it be?

Okay before I answer, can I just say this has been my fave interview of ALL time??? I don't want it to end! You ask the best questions.
The theme song for The Wonder of You happens to also be my old, personal theme song: She's a Jar by Wilco. And yes, I realize that is the whitest girl song I could have offered.

Follow Harper on Social Media:
Website
Goodreads
Twitter
Facebook

Read my review for The Wonder of You by clicking HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment