"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

How To Reprimand Your Rock Star by Mina Vaughn

I was sent this book for review and was pretty stoked because I loved the plot.
Sometimes when I'm sent a book for review I get nervous going into it because I never want to hate a book--that's just not fun.
Hating it wasn't the case for this book because luckily it didn't suck and I liked it.
It wasn't my favorite book I've read this year but it was enjoyable and I'd recommend it to fans of New Adult.
Thea-our main character- is a basketball star who happens to (awkwardly) meet a yummy rock star named Keaton.
There is an instant attraction between the two and that night Keaton invites her to his show. After the concert the two make plans to see each other again...and again...and again.
Keaton brings out Thea's inner...naughty girl and she starts to get into the whole domme and sub thing.
She becomes goods friend with a girl she goes to school with and who teaches her all about BDSM.

I do want to say that going into this I did NOT know that it was going to have anything to do with BDSM.
It's like super sweet and then BAM Thea turns kinky. To me it was kind of like a mix between 50 Shades of Grey and a teenage chick flick.
I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a fan of Fifty Shades of Grey so it's not that I was turned off (ha) because of the BDSM aspect, I just wasn't prepared for it.
It was a quick and easy read and I really liked some of the characters.
Unfortunately I felt like Thea wasn't a consistent character. I know everyone has many layers to them but she was just to all over the place to me. I also didn't like that she always doubted Keaton's affection for her.
The other thing that I really didn't like was there was really no conflict. A lot of readers get pissed when a couple becomes a couple in the beginning of the book, I actually like that. Some readers also like when there is a lot of drama. I actually like when the book is pretty chill and nothing bad really happens. I mean we read to escape our reality so why would we only ever want to read about sad/bad things. But (even to me) this book was just to "perfect". There was no drama really or anything to keep you guessing.
However even though I had issues with the book I did enjoy it. Thea had her moments where she was pretty cool and Keaton definitely had book boyfriend potential. I also thought that Mina Vaughn's writing was very clean and easy to read.
So all in all if you like New Adult and rock stars then I think you'd enjoy this book. And unlike me you now know that there's a serious naughty factor so you'll be prepared ;)


Pre-Order Here (Available July 21st)
 
Amazon
B & N
KOBO


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete